Metropolitan Police Sink to new low In Spycop Scandal

Victim who was duped into two-year relationship ordered to pay shameful Met’s £7,000 court costs

AN ACTIVIST who was deceived into a relationship with an undercover police officer has been ordered to pay £7,000 to cover the Met Police’s legal bill for the 2015 court case relating to the scandal.

Helen Steel is one of eight women who was a victim of the spy cop scandal in which police spies infiltrated campaign groups and trade unions.

Over a 25-year period, at least four other women brought civil claims against undercover police officers who had deceived them into relationships.

There were continual cover-ups over the numbers of police spies who exploited the female activists.

Ms Steel first met John Dines at a London green activists’ meeting in 1987 and, throughout their two-year relationship, knew him as John Barker — but found that he lied about his name, age and background. Police had given him the identity of a dead child.

Only by tracking down Mr Dines last year did she receive an apology and admission that he had been a spy.

He was a member of the Metropolitan Police’s Special Demonstration Squad, which targeted protest groups until it disbanded in 2008.

In 2014, a court ruling allowed the police to maintain that they would “neither confirm nor deny” whether cops were spies and Ms Steel launched an appeal, which she lost.

At the time, she said she felt angry at the continuing cover-up and “the fact that they can have the audacity to claim that the relationships were genuine in any way.

“There is no way anybody would consent to a relationship with somebody if they knew they were using the identity of a child who had died, if they knew that they were there to spy on them, if they knew that everything about that person was fake.”

Blacklist Support Group secretary Dave Smith branded the Met Police shameful.

He praised Ms Steel for her tireless campaigning and said: “The Met Police have already given a public apology, admitted it was human rights abuse and admitted the identity of John Dines.”

An ongoing inquiry into undercover policing — originally led by Christopher Pitchford and now overseen by Sir John Mitting — was launched in 2015 in which Ms Steel is a core participant. But it is yet to take evidence from witnesses.

A friend of one core participant proclaimed they were “flabbergasted at how much control the police have over the evidence and over the process.”

And Mr Smith accused the police of “using tactics to stifle the public inquiry.”

'Police spy' John Barker/ Dines and activist Helen Steel during their 'relationship' in 1990

Falling for him: Happy Helen with John, a police spy

At the time, the Met police, the National Police Chiefs’ Council and the National Crime Agency were all represented by their own barristers and solicitors at preliminary hearings.

But the inquiry only paid for one legal team for the victims, though there were 178 organisations and individuals involved.

The letter, from Weightmans LLP, demands that Ms Steel pay the five-figure sum by Wednesday and informs her that she was sent reminders in August and September 2015.

Ms Steel took to Twitter to express her dismay, saying: “Morally bankrupt Met Police sent spycop John Dines to invade my life and privacy. Now demand I pay them £7,000 for seeking to expose that!”

Advertisements

Crooked coppers conspired with cartel to steal drugs and sell them on

They planned to used marked police car to rob drugs courier

Two bent coppers plotted with a drugs cartel to use a marked police car to steal drugs and sell them on.

Both men, based at Perry Barr police station, have been convicted of conspiracy to possess drugs with intent to supply, misconduct in public office and conspiracy to steal.

Bent Officers

Constable Wahid Husman, 48, and his award-winning colleague Tahsib Majid, 36, intended to sell the drugs they stole to an organised crime network to distribute to its street dealers.

Husman pleaded guilty at the start of his trial while Majid was convicted following a two-week trial at Birmingham Crown Court which concluded today.

In 2009 Majid was awarded a police medal for his part in controlling thousands of excitable fans during a JLS Christmas Lights switch on concert that turned to chaos leaving several fans with crush injuries.

Majid was also convicted of unlawfully disclosing personal information while Husman admitted a series of conspiracies to commit misconduct in public office by accessing secure police systems for the benefit of drug dealers.

Five other men, who are not police officers, admitted offences including possession of drugs, conspiracy to supply drugs and conspiring with Husman to benefit from his access to sensitive police information.

The pair were snared in February 2017 when more than £7,000 ($ 8,976) in cash in Husman’s home and drugs in his shed.

Bad Cops

“There is absolutely no hiding place for corrupt officers.”

Prosecutor

Paul Lodato, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “These two men were experienced police officers who abused their position of trust to work with criminal gangs to arrange for the supply of drugs.

All defendants will be sentenced at a later date.

Rashan Charles ‘police death’: Tensions run high in Dalston as protesters block Kingsland Road

Tensions are running high in Dalston as protesters angry about the death of Rashan Charles hours after he was tackled by police have blocked off Kingsland Road with mattresses, wheelie bins, rubbish bags and broken tables.

About 150 adults and children have assembled outside the Yours Locally shop near the junction with Middleton Road, where the 20-year-old father was chased and forced to the ground in the early hours of Saturday – hours before he died.

Rashan Charles, 20, who died after being restrained by police

Footage circulating on social media, believed to be taken from the CCTV in the shop, shows Mr Charles struggling in an officer’s grip before apparently being pushed to the ground, held down by a member of the public, and handcuffed over the course of two minutes.

dalston1.jpg

Police blocked off the A10 to traffic at about 4pm when some protesters began stopping vehicles from getting past.

Protesters  could be seen pushing wheelie bins from the estate nearby into Middleton Road, and others became irate with motorists who tried to drive past.

A helicopter is now circling overhead and buses have been diverted.

Mr Charles died as he was being restrained by an officer after entering a shop, police are being investigated.

The images then show him being grabbed by the officer who wrestles him to the floor, with the pair struggling for at least a minute, He died at the Royal London Hospital soon after.

Marcia Rigg reacts to the death of Rashan Charles

Witnesses have said they saw the group of people with their “faces covered” making a barrier across the road out of discarded bin bags full of rubbish, traffic cones and a wheelie bin.

“It looks like something serious could be happening,” one passer-by said. “A lot of people  moving towards the area where this barrier has been built.”

Boys in masks and hoods block Middleton Road with a wheelie bin. Picture: Emma Bartholomew

On Monday evening, angry crowds marched from the shop to Stoke Newington police station – where Rashan’s father called for peace – and back again.

The crowd became angry and started shouting and throwing glass bottles at eight policemen who turned up on motorbikes, and some set fire to bins outside the police station later in the night.

Update: 

There were confrontations earlier in the evening which have now spilled over into further disorder.

Demonstrators staging a protest over the death of Rashan Charles have thrown fireworks and bottles at police officers in Hackney, east London.

Crowds on Kingsland Road, Dalston, also constructed makeshift road blocks and set them on fire.

Photos from the scene showed police officers in riot gear with batons and shields on the street.

There were also reports of police horses heading towards the scene.

fire-dalston.jpg

Protesters take to the streets of Dalston and clash with police following the death of Rashan Charles whilst being arrested by police

Bins were set alight in the streets of Dalston, east London

Pedestrians, motorcyclists and cyclists are being told not to travel through the barricade.

“The police line is being slowly pushed back by the protesters. There’s lots of very angry people.”

BREAKING: Former Lincolnshire police officer jailed for life

A former Lincolnshire police officer has been sentenced to life imprisonment today (July 13) after being found guilty of raping and sexual assaulting a young boy.

William Andrew Wright, 30, formerly of Bucknall near Horncastle, is currently in prison for previous convictions.

Today, he was sentenced to life imprisonment (serving a minimum of 12 years) at Lincoln Crown Court.

Wright was found guilty on May 26 by a unanimous jury, of eight counts of rape and sexual assault of a boy between 2005-2007.

“Wright breached the trust of the victim and his family in order to commit these offences.

“The victim has shown immense bravery in coming forward and giving evidence in this case and his courage has made this conviction possible.

Swansea 999 operator jailed over child abuse images

A 999 call handler downloaded hundreds of indecent images of children after learning about the dark web on a police training course.

Ian Curtis, 47, of Swansea, who worked for South Wales Police for 25 years, admitted downloading images of children as young as five.

He was jailed for 12 months at Swansea Magistrates’ Court.

Judge Geraint Walters said Curtis had built up a “huge library of the gravest images”.

The court heard that among the indecent images were 295 videos of children in the most serious category, as well as 111 still images.

He also admitted downloading extremely pornographic images involving sex acts on animals.

‘Grossly wrong’

Robin Rouch, prosecuting, said Curtis had learned about the dark web while attending a computer course put on by the force.

Judge Walters said the call operator had gone on to dedicate several years of his life downloading illegal material.

He said: “Given the nature of his work he would have known it was grossly wrong but he thought it was worth risking it all.

“He was dealing with members of the public reporting crimes but in the privacy of his own home he was committing crimes himself.”

The court heard Curtis was suspended following his arrest and will lose his job.

He was also made subject to a sexual harm prevention order, restricting his access to the internet after his release, and will be on the sex offenders’ register for 10 years.

BBC News – Wales

Image copyright South Wales Police

Shocking moment TV builder star of Channel 4’s Renovation Game was ‘beaten with baton and pepper-sprayed by cops after being dragged from his car’

THIS is the moment a TV builder charged with assaulting two police officers appears to be dragged out of his car and beaten by a cop with a “metal bar”.

Huntley Thawe, 40, says he was punched and pepper-sprayed by cops as he sat in his Citroen van with his two kids over the weekend.

The video showing some of the incident had gone viral last night with more than 41,000 people watching it online.

Huntley, who regularly featured on the Channel Four show Renovation Game, was involved in a domestic dispute when he was filmed being hit with the baton.

His young children, aged just six and nine, are also said to have got pepper spray on their clothes following the police brutality.

West Mercia police confirmed that Mr Thawe had been arrested and charged with willing obstruction of a highway, obstructing or resisting a constable in the execution of their duty and two counts of assaulting a constable in execution of their duty.

No officer in the video footage can be seen to be hurt in any way, the only person that appears to be at harm is Mr Thawe.

Star of Channel 5’s bailiff show Can’t Pay We’ll Take It Away has conviction for filming while a DOG performs a sex act on him…

Philip Gardiner, 40, was billed as a ‘High Court enforcement officer’ despite criminal record barring him from bailiff work.

Gardiner, has appeared in the hit Channel 5 series evicting a mother-of-six from her home and was billed as a “High Court enforcement officer”.

Philip Gardiner

He has appeared alongside the show’s silver-haired father figure Paul Bohill, 72, a business partner and one of his closest pals, as he carried out court orders.

But in August 2014 Gardiner pleaded guilty at Norwich Magistrates’ Court to a charge of possessing an extreme pornographic video depicting a sex act with an animal.

He was fined £500 with £85 costs and a £50 victim surcharge.

In his first appearance on Can’t Pay? after the conviction, he appears with former West Midlands Police detective Mr Bohill as a luckless woman and her two young children are evicted from a flat in Wandsworth, South London.

The same team plus a third officer later on in the series are present when a mum-of-six is thrown out of a house in Biggin Hill, Kent, for non-payment of rent.

In the third series, Gardiner’s features are pixellated and he is referred to simply as “a back-up colleague” while travellers are turfed off a car park in Luton – but his face is briefly clearly seen when he hangs-up a court notice.

The law states a bailiff must be a “fit and proper person” with no criminal record. Despite the fact Gardiner was referred to as a High Court Enforcement Agent the programme makers have claimed that was a mistake and that he was really a “non-qualified colleague”.

But property company director Gardiner, of Dereham, Norfolk, does not appear in any official register of bailiffs or High Court enforcement officers.

A source at Brinkworth Films, which makes Can’t Pay?, said: “Philip Gardiner is not, and never has been, a High Court Enforcement Agent. He does not appear on the programme in that role.

“Under the terms of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 63.2 (c), a certificated bailiff enforcing a High Court Writ can be accompanied by a non-qualified colleague.

“He was referred to as an agent in Series 2, episode 1, in error on first transmission of this episode in September 2014.

“When this error came to light, the commentary was re-recorded and amended to reflect that. On repeats of this episode, and all broadcasts of Series 2, episode 7, he is referred to as a colleague of the agents.

“The stories he appears in Series 2, episodes 1 and 7, were both filmed before his conviction.

“The story in Series 3, episode 10 in which he is pixelated is not the enforcement of a High Court Writ.

Who is Delroy Anglin? Bailiff on Can’t Pay? We’ll Take it Away! and ex-cop booted out police force for drugs…

The former detective constable was found guilty of possessing class B substances

HE is the star bailiff on the Channel 5 TV series ‘Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!’.

But Delroy Anglin has been exposed as an ex-cop who was booted out of the profession for a drugs convictions. Here’s all you need to know…

Who is Delroy Anglin?

Delroy Anglin, 55, is a former detective constable who appears on the Channel 5 show ‘Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away’.

Anglin has been seen in the Channel 5 series since 2014 repossessing cars and demanding money from struggling folks who can no longer make ends.

Delroy Anglin

He is from Croydon, south London and during his time as a police officer was on the executive committee of The Met’s Black Police Association.

Who does Delroy Anglin work for?

Delroy works for London-based company GLA Enforcement Solutions

The married dad is billed at CLA’s business consultant manager.

CLA boasts on its website: “Delroy has been a certificated High Court Enforcement officer for 6 years.

“Prior to this he spend 22 years working for the Metropolitan police force (which may give you a clue as to where his detective skills came from).”

What convictions does Delroy Anglin have?

Delroy was found guilty at crown court of possessing class B substances and dumped by The Met in London in 2002 after 22 years of service.

He was arrested in 2001 over a cannabis factory in his home and three weeks later he was again apprehended by colleagues with three other men suspected of dealing class B substances in nearby Norbury.

He was booted out by police after conviction.

Anglin then apparently hoodwinked regulators to become a financial adviser offering know-how on investments and mortgages.

However, the Financial Services Authority launched a probe in 2008 and banned him from practice.

It concluded in a report: “The FSA is not satisfied you are a fit and proper person.

“You failed to disclose the conviction and dismissal from the Metropolitan Police Force to the Office of Fair Trading (and) the FSA – you were embarrassed by it (and) believed it was not relevant.

“Your failure causes the FSA to have very serious concerns about you.”

How is Delroy Anglin controversial?

The law states a bailiff must be a “fit and proper person” with no criminal record, but a judge at
Brighton County Court in 2015 granted him his latest certificate.

Anglin’s current bailiff licence was issued in November 2015 and lasts for two years.

Applicants must submit proof they have no criminal record, no debt and are a fit and proper person to the government’s Disclosure and Barring Service before a judge issues a certificate.

Neither he nor the company responded to requests for a comment.

Brinkworth Films, which makes Can’t Pay?, said: “Del Anglin became a certificated bailiff in 2012 after being passed as a fit and proper person by a judge as part of a strict protocol.

“He went through this process again in 2014. All the agents who appear on Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away also go through a number of other background checks.”

The Ministry of Justice failed to respond when asked if Anglin had declared his history to Brighton County Court.

He is the second employee of GLA Enforcement Solutions exposed

TV STAR KILLER’S CHUM

TV bailiff ‘Fat Brian’ from Channel 5 show Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away was best pals with Milly Dowler murderer Levi Bellfield

The Channel 5 star befriended the serial killer when he worked with him as a doorman.

THE star bailiff of TV’s Can’t Pay? We’ll Take it Away! was the best friend of Milly Dowler murderer Levi Bellfield.

Brian O’Shaughnessy, 39, was also once quizzed over a joint sex allegation with the serial killer.

Brian O_Shaughnessy

The two who met as doormen were “thick as thieves for five or six years”, a source said.

Brian, who repossesses debtors’ goods and money for courts on the Channel 5 show but was exposed as having been chased over not paying a bill of almost £5,000 for a new bathroom himself , also worked with Bellfield for a wheel-clamping firm.

Known as Fat Brian, he was quizzed in 2005 as a result of inquiries into Bellfield, 48.

There is no suggestion he knew about his crimes.

A source said: “Brian became Bellfield’s number one sidekick.

“As Levi did with lots of people, he got Brian in his thrall.

“When Brian was arrested he wanted to get his life sorted out.”

Debt recovery worker O’Shaughnessy, of Camberley,  Said: “I was an associate of Levi Bellfield.

Milly Dowler
Beast Bellfield murdered 13-year-old schoolgirl Milly Dowler in 2002